Friday, May 1, 2009

Friday before the show - week 16

I'm not even sure where to start... I think I've been non-stop sculpting, gluing and sewing this last week solid.... I finished seven and a half dolls and one more illustration is begging for ink. I've managed to get a doll done a day! Though on those days, I have done nothing else ( and when I say 'day' I'm really talking about 20 hours solid of work and usually touch up the next morning). But it has been wonderful to wake up and work and go to bed with a totally new creature to add to the growing mass of creations.

I've made mostly monsters and little impy creatures... yesterday I took all that i had done out to the sofa/work space to judge what the last doll (and a half) should be... I thought I had a decent line up only asking for a few more monsters. ;) So yesterday was spent with fur.

My poor brain... I'm not sure if it has been all the glue, staring at tiny things hunched over for hours at a time or the Sculpey fumes, but I feel utterly odd... as though the greater part of my brain has shut down to make room for the drive to do nothing other than make. I think maybe I can now understand all those crazed people who bring their lap tops on summer vacation, only, I doubt more than a quarter really enjoy what they do. I LOVE what I do! And finally having a solid reason to create again has been overwhelmingly wonderful.

Still, I hope I can slow down a little bit after the opening... because right now I'm sure if someone asked me a question I'd answer with: Huh? fur, what? What were you saying? I have to finish this doll.....

So I'll see you next week with show update-photos.... right after I finish this doll......

6 comments:

Rowanrose said...

Dang! I looked at this picture this morning and couldn't believe my eyes! You are amazing. I totally get the brain shut down that goes along with intense creativity. It happens to me all the time. It's cool and productive, but a little disturbing.

After tonight, you can just sit around and enjoy the party...and the sales. Congratulations!

Laura said...

Oh my gosh! That is amazing! I can't wait to see it all put together! It's rather inspiring to "hear" how happy this all makes you.

(I guess I will wait a week or so after the show to ask you if you'd like to collaborate with me on something. Is that long enough? ;)

Eden Carnes said...

@ Rowan - *grins* I was going to try and keep working on 'just one more doll' ... but I ran outta Sculpey... so I guess I'll be forced to rest ;)

Laura - Thanks! And me too! I have boxes of bits I've gathered over the years, I think I'll be using some of those things to finish the scene, as it were....

And really? A week should be fine... But honestly, other than one more doll commission, I'm free... artistry, to work on whatever! Just have to set about making my Etsy account look Biiig.

Laura said...

Really! It would just be a creative thingy to begin with, and it may not appeal to you (which you should totally say if you'd rather not, or don't have time), or you may have different ideas to bring to my idea, which is fine, too. :) Is it okay if I email you about it?

Also: Do you have the Creative Oasis show details in a little pretty package? :) I'd like to send an email to some friends to go and see it.

Eden Carnes said...

I'm sorry, Laura.. o_o' I don't really. I just have those posters I made up awhile back.... There is an add in the weekender and I think there is a facebook group... but I don't have an account so I don't think I can search for it...?

Hope to see you there... sorry, again, for not having a nice little write up. ^_^" I think it's really just you, Rowan, my-friend-Lisa and one of my sisters that check my blog/site... I didn't think to do anything officially official. :/

Laura said...

It's okay, I'll figure it out. :)